Sunday, March 24, 2013

DIY Stash app

A while back I bitched and moaned about my horrible experience with a sewing stash app called Sewing Kit HD.  I had finally got all my patterns and fabric inputted when I bought 3 new patterns. One afternoon, I had some free time while sitting in a waiting room so I thought I'd put in the new patterns. You've heard Einstein's definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? Well, that SOB app crashed over and over and over and I never even got one more pattern done. In a sudden moment of clarity, I deleted the whole shooting match. And it felt good.

Instead I did this:
I took a photo of the front and back of every pattern I own:

I put them all in one album together, where they are easy to see at a glance:


And you can easily zoom in on any image:



Then to catalogue my fabrics, I started by getting this app that allows you to add text to your images. I got the free version. I'm sure there are others similar app out there:


Then I took photos of all my fabric and added a brief text description. Since I am intimately familiar with my stash, I only recorded a name and the width and yardage.


Again, the thumbnails in the album.



All this took a mere fraction of the time that I spent on that other app. And no foul language!

Now I can easily browse through my stash whenever the spirit moves me and add to it when necessary.

5 comments:

  1. Now this is super-smart! Might just add this to my up-coming 'holiday-to-do-list'...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gaurantee, you will have a few moments of feeling like you ran into an old friend you haven't seen in a long time!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! I love a good work-around to a problem. soo much easier than that other app.

      Delete