Friday, March 1, 2013

Hem it or heave it?

I'm leaning toward heave it. It's Simplicity 2181, view D. I think it over emphasizes what needs no emphasis at all.



This was one of those projects I was sick of before I even finished it. I started by doing an elaborate FBA on four separate pattern pieces: the front, the front facing, the left overlay and the right overlay.

Then I cut out the fabric, which mostly had to be done on a single layer. I hate that! Then I started sewing. Tedious, fiddly sewing, stretched out over four days and nights. And at no point can you tell what this thing is going to look like until it's almost completely finished.
I saw it hanging there as soon as I woke up this morning. I made up my mind: I don't like it. It has problems. This is a pretty thin knit, which is good because there are 3 layers on the left side, but the one layer of this thin knit looks terrible in the back. The V neck is wonky. I think it actually looks better in the photos than in person. In person, you see only one thing (make that two things!!) It might make a nice Tshirt without the overlay, though.

Since this is my second failure in a row and I need bolstering right about now, I have cut out a proven winner for my next project. 

13 comments:

  1. Uh oh-another top for Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think this one will work for her either!!!

      Delete
  2. Looks pretty good to me. All of the work you put into it keeps it from being shapeless, puts the ties in in the right place. Put it aside for now and hem it some other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I was thinking about cutting the overlays off to see what the shirt would look like without them. I'm willing to sacrifice this one if I can end up with a nice Tshirt pattern. I know I will never be comfortable wearing this. Thanks for the compliment though!

      Delete
  3. I dont think its bad at all- get some fun accessories and give it a chance- the color is lush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The color is the only thing I really like about it!!!

      Delete
  4. I made this one and wondered the same thing - but it is one of my most complimented tops! I think that it looks good on you. The overlay wraps are very flattering, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do kind of like it, but it's not quite there. I think it'd be better in a print. I really don't like how thin this fabric was either. Felt kind of cheap. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  5. Gee, I kind of like it, which is good for me because a) I relate to your shape, and b) I have this pattern in my queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know 'til you try it yourself! Let me know how it turns out for you.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous color on you! I really like the top on you and hope that you give it a chance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I gave it a chance. With my scissors!!! I cut off the overlay and, just as I suspected, the shirt itself is a pretty well fitting Tshirt. Who knows, maybe I'll mess around with a different configuration for the twisty part some day.

      Delete
  7. I have to say, this is a fab colour and top for a fail. You've got very high standards.

    ReplyDelete