Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Textile Studio Santa Monica Tee

Its that time of year when I usually pick a tank or tee pattern then make it to death. Two years ago it was this pattern. This year, it could easily become this pattern. I like it that much, but I've already made myself a solemn promise (I make myself a lot of solemn promises --and I stick to them!) to give some other patterns a chance to get out of the drawer.

I have made this pattern with long sleeves before and really liked it. I think this pattern runs a bit small side. I made an XL. This plum fabric is a cotton jersey, so its stretchier than some other knits, plus it seems to grow as you wear it. A regular large may have been okay in this fabric. Its got a bit too much hip room and the neck doesn't lie flat in back, so I shaved a bit off the hips and the shoulder seams for the next go. It is a lovely color and goes well with these pants.




The second version is an ITY knit. Well, three actually. I made this one for a sewing group challenge. I had only a small amount of the main fabric and used pieces from my scrap bin for the sleeves. I
think it fits much better.





(Just so you know, I do not save fabric scraps, except for knits. I have a crazy notion to make panties with them--once I'm through menopause!)

The third one is my favorite so far.  Its also an ITY, but a nicer quality than the previous fabric. This fabric was perfect, especially because it came from the free table! (The early bird gets the worm, Cynthia)




I wouldn't be wrong gushing too much about this pattern. It's really quick to make and takes less than a yard of fabric. First you sew a dart at the top of the sleeve, then you sew the shoulder and side seams. The neckline and sleeves are simply turned to the inside and stitched. Hem it and you're done. I have to say, I felt a bit guilty when I first bought my cover stitch machine, but it sure does make a top like this super easy and professional looking. You only need to use Steam-a-Seam if you like burning your fingers.

 I do still  have two more excellent fabric candidates in my hoard for this pattern, so you will be seeing at least two more.






6 comments:

  1. These look great! I also love this pattern, but I've only made the 3/4 length sleeves. You inspire me to do a cap sleeve version. Love that square neckline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice collection! Love your fabric colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tops; I especially like the fabric of the 2nd one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beverly. That second fabric was only 5$ a yard!

      Delete